Frequently Asked Questions
Am I suited to this procedure?
The treatment guide below shows a grading scale for double chin fat, also known as ‘sub-mental fat’. It ranges from 0 (no localised sub-mental fat) to 4 (extreme submental convexity). The ideal patient for the treatment would be someone who is a ‘2’ or ‘3’ on sub-mental scale, so someone with moderate to severe sub-mental fullness.
Who should not receive the treatment ?
You should not receive Fat Dissolving Injections for under the chin area if you have an infection in the treatment area.
Before receiving Fat Dissolving Injections for under the chin area tell your healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- Have had or plan to have surgery on your face, neck, or chin; have had cosmetic treatments on your face, neck, or chin; have had or have medical conditions in or near the neck area; have had or have trouble swallowing; have bleeding problems
- Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your healthcare provider if you take a medicine that prevents the clotting of your blood (antiplatelet or anticoagulant medicine).
How effective is Fat Dissolving Injections for under the chin area?
Patient reviews show 88% satisfaction after using Fat Dissolving Injections for under the chin area. Patients who are not satisfied with the treatment are mostly not suitable candidate or patients with higher expectations.
It is mandatory to have a proper examination by a trained health provider before the treatment to get the right advice and to determine if you are the right candidate for the treatment.
What are the side effects of Fat Dissolving Injections for under the chin area treatment
The vast majority of side effects from treatment with Fat Dissolving Injections for under the chin area are mild and not permanent. Studies show that with each treatment side effects occur less frequently and to a lesser degree. The most common side effects we see after treatment are as follows:
- Swelling around the area injected – We expect to see swelling. It means the treatment is working! In fact, we say please call us if it does not swell. We recommend not going back to work on the day of treatment and using ice on the neck intermittently in the hours after treatment.
- Temporary numbness under the chin. Approximately 50% of patients will feel this slight numbness after treatment, with symptoms wearing off after 30 days on average.
- Warmth and redness – 40% of patients will feel warmth or redness under the chin on the day of treatment.
- Firmess under the chin – Studies show that 16% of patients will feel firmness or ‘induration’ under the skin after treatment. This is not a worrying symptom and resolves, on average, after 51 days according to studies.
Rarer side effects such as temporary problems with weak smile and facial muscles and trouble swallowing (2%) have been reported.
The risk of affecting the smile is due to the small chance of temporarily affecting the marginal branch of the facial nerve. The anatomy of the nerves in the face differs from person to person and in 2% of treatments a small branch of the facial nerve can be affected. This would present as a temporary problem with the smile muscle (see image below). The affected side would be more difficult to perform a full smile. The problem is temporary and the average time to resolve is 44 days.
Does Fat Dissolving Injections for under the chin area permanently remove double chin fat?
Yes. Fat Dissolving Injections for under the chin area permanently destroys double chin fat. Once the fat cells have been destroyed they will never return.
How is it done?
After a consultation and assessment with one of our doctors, the treatment is performed in clinic with a series of small injections into the area of fat to be treated. Ice packs are all this is needed for pain killers and the treatment takes about 20 minutes.
How much Fat Dissolving Injections for under the chin area do I need to treat my double chin?
The amount needed will of course depend on the amount of fat that needs to be dissolved average patient needs at least 20 small injections ( 2 vails) 1 cm apart.
How many Fat Dissolving Injections for under the chin area treatments will I need?
We recommend at least 2 treatments of at least 2 vials to see results, with most patients requiring 3 treatments at 6 week intervals.
Will I see results straight away?
No, it takes up to 6 weeks for you to notice the effects.
Are Fat Dissolving Injections for under the chin area safe?
Yes. It is a non surgical treatment with an acceptable side effect profile.
Are Fat Dissolving Injections for under the chin area treatment painful?
We ice the neck before injections to numb the skin. After injection the area can feel warm, like the feeling of sunburn. This is a temporary side effect which settles over the next hour.
Can I go to work after treatment?
We recommend icing the skin and resting at home after treatment rather than going back to work.
Is Fat Dissolving Injections for under the chin area safe in pregnancy and breastfeeding?
We do not recommend Fat Dissolving Injections for under the chin area in pregnany or when breastfeeding.
How do I book an appointment?
Email Us or call us on (07) 4779 3333.